27

t w e n t y - s e v e n| a l e x a n d r i a
___

I run and run for what seemed like hours. However, the amount of times I've seen the sun go down and back up told me otherwise.

I couldn't feel my own fatigue because my own greed overcame it. My desire to kill made me void of all other emotions and so as I run, I let all my thoughts rest at the very back of my mind.

Bright lights coming out of makeshift homes and contrasting the darkness of the night enters my vision.

And for the first time, I stop running when I finally see familiar rogue camp. It sends a jumble of emotions and thoughts to my brain, making it go haywire.

From a distance, I watch in both amazement and dejection as families return to their little tents.

This was a home that turned my childhood a tragedy but it was also a place that raised me, provided me warmth, and gave me a place to live in.

Too bad, I didn't come here to share tears of joy and yearning.

I was here for a very special someone.

The crunching of leave disrupts me from my thoughts. I turn to the intruder, only to feel a hand roughly pull my hood off and grab a chunk of my hair.

It only takes a moment for my eyes to meet his, which widened in surprise. He lets go of my hair but I pull him closer, completing my intention.

"Hey, you look familia—," he starts off, but stops when he coughs out blood. His eyes widen and he keeps his eyes locked with mine in terror.

I twist and dig the knife even deeper in his abdomen. The man weakens and groans, leaving his weight on me.

"Yeah, you probably see me in your nightmares," I say under my breath. Then, I push his huge body off of me, leaving him on the ground to wither away.

Whether his wolf heals him fast enough to survive or not was none of my business.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to waste energy hiding his body, which was hidden my the darkness and the shrubs.

I pull my hood back on and return to my task.

My eyes roam the familiar setting and I let my body move at its own accord. Familiarity and memories charge my brain. None of them were happy.

Thankfully, before I know it, I behold my brother's home in front of me. His home was further from the rest, giving him more privacy.

Lucky for me!

A smirk tugs on my lips when I spot Ian's and another's looming shadow.

I lean on a tree with crossed arms, knowing that these ignorant rogues wouldn't notice me. I tap my finger on my skin as I wait for him to notice my wonderful presence.

"Goodbye, father. Make sure to sleep well, tonight," I make out from their muffled voices. I flinch involuntary and watch as the shadow of a prideful man I once knew recedes.

Ian keeps his back to me as he takes in all the figures retreat to the warmth of their tents. I scrutinize him while he stays still even when there was no other signs of presence. He just stares at the empty space, not a sound spoken.

"I'm surprised you're still breathing, sister," he carefully says, disrupting the silence. "Cut to the chase. What are you doing here?"

"To get a hug, what else?" I reply bitterly.

He keeps his back to me and spits out, "I'd rather let fire burn me alive than ever let you lay a hand on me. Not after what you did."

I wince but continue, "Then why?"

"Why what?" He questions hopelessly.

"Why even bother trying to kill me? Just let me live. That is all I ask for, Ian."

I notice his shoulders tense when I called out his name but he proceeds, "You are an abomination. Your wolf is no better than a monster. You were suppose to die. I am just finishing what we started."

"You suffer from your own creation," I snarl at him.

"You're right," he breathes out. And for the first time, he slowly turns towards me. I meet his amber eyes that used to twinkle with joy and hope. Now, all I see is pure emptiness, so devoid of emotion. "You're existence itself is atrocious. Your wolf is even more corrupt and foul. You being alive is dishonorable and is a shame to our Moon Goddess. The world doesn't deserve to see such monstrosity."

I take slow steps towards him until I was an arms length away from him. Ian, like the proud wolf he is, refuses to stand back down.

My wolf stirs in me, urging me to snap his neck and leave him in the deeper parts of the forest, leaving him there for the hungry creatures scavenge him.

"Luckily for you, brother. You're one of a kind. You deserve to see this 'monstrosity' that you call me," I snap. Taking another step towards Ian, I bring my hand to his cheek.

"You wouldn't dare kill me. You would never," he spits out bitterly. I let out a dry laugh and let my claws extend. He didn't flinch and keeps his cold eyes on me.

"That doesn't mean I can't hurt you," I tell him with a lopsided smile. Letting my claws trace his skin, blood falls from his cheek and down his neck. He didn't move an inch. His chest rising up and down was the only indication of his ability to react.

My wolf, frustrated by his lack of reaction, lashes out on his chest. She shivers in content when she inspects the horrifying mark she leaves.

Ian coughs out blood but quickly wipes it off his mouth with a shaky hand. I feel my wolf relish the image of my brother's pain.

I don't feel a single ounce of regret when I look up to see his eyes shut close, the area under them moist with unshed tears.

I tiptoe so that my mouth was near his ears then whisper, "What makes us different is that I rightfully claim the evil title you all have given me. But the truth is, you people are no better."

He refused to open his eyes, his arms locked behind his back, and stops himself from breaking down his own cold exterior.

A part of me wishes to hear his voice one last time. I wait a painstaking minute and regard his somehow still confident stature.

I used to look at up his so much—for being so strong and mighty.

When he didn't speak, I decided it was my cue to leave. Gradually taking steps away from him, I tell him one last time and hope that my voice didn't waver, "Don't worry, brother. You'll heal soon. I hope so, at least."

I turn my back to him completely and pick up my pace. I hold back the tears, feeling a sense of abandonment just like I did years ago.

Then, I feel the familiar rush for release and let my wolf's exultation surge throughout me despite my heavy heart.

And for the first time in a long while, I give my wolf complete control as my bones reform and my skin turns into fur.

Landing a paw on the wet earth, I let my rejoiced wolf guide me back to where my heart belongs.