32 | rain kisses

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 32

I had been staring at my reflection in the mirror for so long that it was beginning to look slightly distorted

This is how it had been for the last three hours.

I would put on an outfit, look at myself until I thought better of it and then change into another one.

It didn't help that Gabe hadn't told me anything about what tonight's date would involve. Maybe then I would know whether to wear something casual or not.

My gaze settled on a dress at the back of my wardrobe, long forgotten until now.

The smooth material filtered through my fingertips when I lifted it, holding it up in front of the mirror.

I put it on before I could talk myself out of it, watching my reflection mirror my pleased smile when I glanced up and saw what the dress looked like on me.

Since I couldn't remember buying it, it must have been from a couple of years ago. Perhaps for a gathering that my parents tried to rope me into going to, or some kind of ball thrown by my school that I had long since pushed out of my mind.

Either way, I was grateful for its existence.

The white cloth billowed slightly at the sides, keeping it pretty and casual at the same time. This was the one.

And thank goodness it was, because in the instant that my eyes found the clock, the doorbell rang.

A small flutter settled in my stomach as I went to open the door, immediately doubling in size once it had swung open and my eyes found his.

He was leaning against the doorframe as he smiled, my two favourite dimples appearing. "Hey."

I didn't even try to fight the smile that fell onto my mouth at the sight of his. "Hi."

We said nothing else for a while, our eyes speaking instead.

Mine traced his face to begin with, lingering on the sharp lines of his jaw and nose.

They slowly trailed downwards and stopped on his chest, which was covered in a shirt and the same leather jacket that I'd seen him wearing in Cornwall. It was hanging lazily on his arms, and I was instantly reminded of why I loved him wearing it.

My gaze returned to his to see that the blue of his eyes had darkened to an almost-navy. "You look..." He trailed off.

My lips parted slightly of their own accord, waiting for the end of his statement.

I watched as Gabe's eyes locked on the action, and he quickly closed the distance between us with nothing but a quiet whisper into my ears. "Like I need to kiss you."

I barely had time to register his words before his thumb was titling my face up, mouth meeting mine with an intensity that I had only ever felt with him.