Weed Checkpoint

Weed Checkpoint

In Spring break of my Freshman year at ST, myself, Carleton and Damien were able to pay our friend Charlie's family to rent out their beach house in Breach Island for a couple of days. At one point after leaving the beach at night after a gathering, a Hispanic group around a car playing some music asked "Hey guys, where's the weed." To which I replied "Ah man we are straight up out." His response was "Well, I got some for sale if you want to take a look." Before he showed me he handed me the joint he was smoking and said "hit this, it's the same stuff." It was incredible risky, but I smoked the joint with him and ended up buy probably a quarter of low quality bud for $10. This comes into play throughout the trip, but for right now I want to talk about the way back home.

We had only bought this weed the day before we were leaving, so of course we would have some left over to which I placed in my tennis bag I used as luggage. It wasn't sealed or anything and it was in my bag that I owned thus it if caught it would have been all on me, which almost happened. As we were driving back all of a sudden we see cameras placed into the ground every half mile or more and an overhang where there were cops doing a road check. I believe they were looking for people hauling illegal immigrants, but they still had a dog with them that likely could have sniffed out the weed. As we approached Damien the driver started smoking a cigarette to "mask the smell", like that was going to work on a k9. After the police officer did routine questioning he didn't call the dog over, instead he just let us go. If I had been caught with drugs, even just a small amount of weed I would have no longer qualified for financial aid at ST or any college which means I wouldn't have been able to afford getting my degree. My entire life could have been ruined in a matter of minutes had the dog been called over. As soon as we drove away of course I wanted to smoke what we had left just in case we get pulled over again and as a way to relax but Carleton and Damien said no claiming the smell would have been a problem.