23

After three days Max finally gathered enough courage to finally go and talk to Caroline. He thought about calling but he was completely sure that she was going to ignore it and he was not wrong.

He took a nervous breath and rang the doorbell, waiting for Caroline to open the door. He nervously waited for more than the usual time Caroline take to open the door, thinking it was a bad idea to come over in the morning.

When he was just about to leave Caroline finally opened the door and her sleepy eyes immediately opened wide.

"Max..." Caroline gasped, almost thinking that it's a dream.

"Hi," he gave a nervous laugh. Caroline could tell that he hasn't slept well for the past couple of days and he look exhausted. "I thought about calling but I knew you were going to decline all my calls but I really need to talk to you."

Caroline thought for a few seconds and reluctantly nodded her head. They are teammates, they see each other and work with each other every race weekend and team event, she is sure that if they don't have a serious talk it will just build up and cause issues that will end up affecting the team.

"You better make it fast Max," she crossed her arms.

"Oh, do you have somewhere to be?" Max asked.

"No," Caroline coldly replied making Max's heart skip a beat and his face immediately went pale.

"Don't you think you are being too harsh on me?" Max snapped. "It's not like I cheated on you or with you."

"No, you just cheated on your girlfriend with my friend..well she is my ex-friend now who dragged my name into this mess."

Max huffed in frustration and closed his eyes for a couple of seconds to calm down before opening them again.

"You are right, this mess is entirely my fault," Max admitted but the anger is evident in his voice and his eyes. "I was too drunk and I somehow stupidly thought Florence was you..."

"Ughh!," Caroline shook her head in disbelief. "Do you realize how messed up that sounds?"

"I know..I know," Max huffed as he tiredly sat on the couch and rest his face in his hands. He looked up and saw Caroline's face softened with concern but the anger was still there. "I don't know what to do Care. I hurt you, I hurt Kelly...

Caroline sat on the other end of the couch and leaned back.

"Have you apologized to Kelly?" she looked at Max.

Max nodded his head but his expression explained she didn't forgive him.

"She said she is never going to forgive me and blocked me on everything," he explained.

"All you can do is make her know that you are truly sorry about what you did," Caroline replied. "It's for her to decide whether to forgive you or not."

Max nodded as he realized there is nothing else he can do.

"And what about you?" he looked at his teammate and the girl he is falling for.

"What about me?"

"Will you forgive me?"

Caroline let out a sigh as she gave a sympathetic look. "I don't know Max...I mean what you did doesn't affect me much but cheating is the one thing I hate the most..I know how much it can hurt someone. When you kissed me I was not able to think straight because of the guilt...and then you said you thought Florence was me...and then Kelly said that you..."

"I am in love with you," Max blurted out. "Kelly was saying the truth...I guess I was not good at hiding my feelings," he let out a nervous laugh.

"No, no no no no no," Caroline panicked and stood up. "You are not in love with me Max..you are just confused or.."

"Being in love with you is the only thing I am sure of right now in my life, Care," Max stood up and took a step towards Caroline but she took a step back. His heart ached from Caroline's reaction.

Caroline felt her heart beat faster as her mind was processing what Max confessed.

"Don't do this Max," Caroline shook her head. "You will only end up getting hurt."

"I can't just un-love you," Max argued. "Trust me, I tried."

"Well..try harder," Caroline pleaded. "We drive for the same team..if these feelings continue it will only create problems."

"I am not like you Care, I can't just stop feeling."

**********

A/N:  Thoughts on this chapter? Thoughts on Caroline and Max?

I honestly have no idea where this story is heading, its a hot mess. I started this book planning to make Caroline end up with Max but now I am no so sure since I also ship Care and Lewis..but I also feel like Care is good for Max. 

Updates will be slow since I am figuring out the storyline.

Also thanks everyone for all the lovely bday wishes :)