34

"Someone needs to talk to her," Eloise mumbled to Max as they both watched Caroline talking to her race engineer, giving her full focus on the upcoming race since yesterday. "She hasn't properly talked to anyone since yesterday, and as far as I know she didn't cry once."

"You want her to cry?" Max looked confused.

"No," Eloise replied. "But she found out yesterday that the man she is in love with lied to her, the normal reaction would be to feel sad and cry. She looks angry, that means she is keeping her true feelings all bottled up."

Caroline felt the two sets of pairs on her and looked in their direction. Eloise immediately turned around, pretending that she was busy with her phone, but Max looked directly at her and he had a concerned loon on his face. He is worried about Caroline, she just got her heart broken and she is acting like she is more than fine.

"What?" Caroline snapped.

"Umm..nothing," Max shrugged. "You look good today."

"I always look good after a sleepless night," Caroline rudely said as she rolled her eyes.

Eloise subtly hit Max, asking him to say something else or to properly talk to his teammate.

"Care.." he took a step towards her.

"I have to get ready for qualifying," Caroline emotionlessly said and walked away.

Eloise gave Max a look before following Caroline into the driver's room.

***

Caroline was told that Lewis just qualified for provisional pole, and if she or Max doesn't increase their pace he is going to be on pole for the race tomorrow with will be a problem for Red Bull.

Caroline didn't say anything and just gave her best, she is determined to not let Lewis stand up on the top of the podium tomorrow.

The entire garage cheered as she managed to take the pole position away from Lewis and Max qualified second, which pushed Lewis down to third. Mercedes was not happy and neither was their driver.

As soon as Caroline got out of her car Max went to hug her but stopped as she realized she might react badly to it. But to his surprise, she came to hug him just as Lewis got out of his car and was about to approach her.

Max understood what was going on and gladly went along with it.

"He is looking," Max whispered as he hugged Caroline.

"Good," Caroline replied. "Promise me we will do everything possible to not let him win the championship."

"I promise," Max replied as he glared at Lewis.

The Mercedes driver can't help but feel jealous for the first time along with regret and guilt.

***

Lewis knocked at the door of Caroline's hotel room, hoping that she will. He has texted her and called her many times but she didn't even respond even once. She didn't even look at him once at the paddock.

He knocked again but the door didn't open. He was hoping to talk to her before the race tomorrow, wanted to explain himself properly which he thinks will help, but he is also aware that Caroline is stubborn so it will take a lot of effort from him to convince her to forgive him and take him back.

He waited for a few more minutes and knocked again and again but the door never opened, it was like she is not even in the room.

***

"Hamilton is catching up to Max," the race engineer informed Caroline who is leading the race.

"Tell Max to defend his position like the lion he is," Caroline said as she gave her all to increase the gap in case Lewis manages to get past Max.

Lewis was determined to move past Max but he was finding it very difficult to make it happen. He kept trying at every corner and tried to put pressure on Max but he was defending his position well.

As soon as he saw a chance to overtake the Red Bull he went for it, and he succeeded but after making contact and pushing Max off the track.

Caroline was informed about the situation and she was not at all happy.

"He is under investigating, right?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Good,"

Caroline concentrated on maintaining her lead and Max was closing on Lewis. Both the Red Bull drivers were happy once the last lap started and they were informed that Lewis received a five second time penalty. Lewis tried to increase the gap to Max but failed to do so.

The Red Bull team cheered as Caroline crossed the chequered flag first, followed by Lewis and then Max. But because of the time penalty, Lewis was pushed down to third and max moved up to second.

Max laughed as he got out of his car and ran to Caroline.

"You won," he cheered as he pulled her into a hug.

"Of course I did," Caroline smugly said before both went over to their team.

The atmosphere at the podium was tense as Lewis and Max stepped on it, but it increased more once Caroline stood up at the top of the podium.

Lewis looked at her, hoping she would at least notice how guilty he feels but she didn't bother to spare him a proper glance. She smiled as the trophy was handed to her and Max but when it was time to open the champagnes she just picked up the bottle and walked out of the podium and Max did the same, leaving Lewis to stand there alone.

***

"Caroline," Lewis called out her name as he jogged towards her as she was on her way out of the paddock.

Most of the people around them looked in their direction as some are aware of the incident that happened during the track walk, but thankfully they are not aware that Lewis and Caroline's relationship.

"What do you want?" Caroline snapped.

"Can we talk?" Lewis asked, his eyes pleading to her to say yes.

"Oh I would love to," Caroline forced a smile. "But I am too busy getting over the betrayal."

"Care.." he softly said but she already stepped away from him. "If you could just..."

"If I could just fall for you lies again?" she sarcastically asked. "I am not that stupid to repeat the same mistake again," she said before turning away from him and walking away, leaving him in pain and regret.

The triple header was full of ups and down and Caroline was relieved that it has ended. She confessed her love for someone who she thought is never going to hurt her but sadly got her heartbroken after a few days. She decided it was best to keep her heart closed from anyone that tries to get close to her from now on.

**********

A/N: Caroline should get her heart broken more often and win more races. 

Thoughts on Care? Do you think she is overreacting or reacting less, or being too rude?

Writing about Care and Max leave the podium and Lewis standing there alone made me laugh and feel bad for him at the same time.

 It will be so funny if Max and Lewis keep fighting on track and Care ends up winning the championship. Thought? 

Next race is Silverstone so...more drama