Chapter 7

At dinner that night Melanie said to her dad “Daddy, I was wondering if I could have a little party on Saturday” “Well I don't know dear, I'll have to think about it” she nodded “Ok” she finished her dinner and went back to her room.

Thursday morning at school Melanie looked for Sean everywhere but she couldn’t find him, she found Justin with Dean then she asked him “Hey Justin have you seen Sean?”

“Not since I left him with Jess” she was confused “Who’s Jess?”

 “I don't know some chick”

“Oh ok fine” she went to class alone. Throughout the day she didn’t see him she ended up walking back home alone. When she opened the door she met Carlos and Maddie making out “Really guys, do you have to do this here? What if it wasn’t me that walked in” they broke apart and Maddie flushed red “And please try to keep it down having a really bad headache” they went back to kissing as she went up to her room, she waited for Sean text but he never did, she eventually fell asleep.

At dinner that night her dad said “Melanie your mum and I are travelling tomorrow, we're going to Reading to see your grandmother” she whined “No fair!” “

Wait I haven’t finished, that is why I’m letting you have your party and I’m going to leave you some money, on the condition that you and Carlos will not stay out beyond 11pm, you both will be responsible and no missing school” she nodded “Thanks daddy I love you”

 “I love you too”

“I'm gonna go tell Carlos.” Melanie entered Carlos’ room without knocking “Don't you knock” she shrugged “I have something to tell you that might interest you”

 “What could possibly interest me at this time of night”

“Well, mummy and daddy are going to Reading that leaves the house to us but on the condition that we don't stay out later than 11pm, we’re responsible and we don't miss school”

“Wicked!”

 “But you're going with me tomorrow to get the stuff for the party in the morning, so do me a favour and don't sleep in” “All right.”

The next morning after her parents had left she went to wake Carlos up “Rise and shine, sleeping beauty”

 “What the hell Melanie it's just 7 am”

 “No princess, it’s 11am” he started grumbling and he got out of bed “I'll be downstairs” she closed the door as he threw a pillow at her. Carlos was down half an hour later “You spend as much time as a girl getting ready”

“Whatever, where are we going?”

 “Marks and Spencer” they headed to the bus stop and waited for the bus and when it came they headed to Oxford Street. At Oxford Street they walked to Marks and Spencer and headed to the food section she was particularly picky about what type of snacks she wanted they bought a lot of flapjacks, cookies and mini Victoria sponge cakes. When they we're done they headed back home but not before stopping at the mini mart at the end of the street to buy sweets and a lot of Doritos and Walkers, on their walk back home Carlos said “Where is your boyfriend anyway?”

“I haven’t seen him since he went off with Jess”

 “Jess, who’s Jess?”

 “Do I look like I have an idea, he hasn’t called or texted since day before yesterday so I don't know where he is” Carlos laughed “Well I know, he’s right there” he said and pointed to the house where Sean had just stood up from the porch and was coming towards them “You take these in, I'm going to go see Maddie” as he left Sean came to stand in front of her and the first thing he said was “Your avoiding me” she shrugged “No I'm not, I haven’t heard from you since the day before yesterday and when I came looking for you yesterday I heard you were with Jess, so you can go and keep hanging out with Jess” he sighed “Jess is one of my closest friends I've known her since I was five, so I had every right to hang out with her”

“Well you could’ve just told me that instead of leaving me hanging, we had plans”

 “Well I'm sorry I bailed on you but I had to spend some time with her too” she tried to walk past him “Stop, I know you're pissed but you have to understand it's all about balancing things, yes you're my girlfriend and I love you, but I can't spend every minute with you I have to spend time with other people too” she rolled her eyes “Fine, you have a point I guess I'll see you tomorrow at the party, having a girls night in today” he smiled “All right, see you tomorrow” she raised her head and he dropped a kiss.

Nahla and Camilla came over that night, Maddie couldn’t make it but she said she would be there in the morning “So what do you guys wanna watch The Exorcist or Bee Movie” Nahla then said “Bee Movie is a children’s movie” “Well Melanie and I have watched The Exorcist and it’s a good movie” Camilla said “Well we’ll watch that then” Melanie switched off the light and they began the movie a point in time came when Nahla screamed and she said “You lied about watching this didn’t you?” Camilla nodded, they continued watching and suddenly the door banged open and they all screamed, the lights came on and Carlos was standing there, Melanie paused the movie and said “What the hell Carlos we’re watching a scary movie, you just don't make an entrance like that”

“You girls are scardy cats, I bet I can watch this movie and prove that boys are more macho” they all scoffed “Yeah right, come on then” he switched off the light and sat in between Camilla and Melanie and Melanie played the movie. Another point came in the movie came when Carlos shrieked like a girl “Bloody hell, that is fucking scary man, where’d you get this movie anyway”

“And he claims to be macho” Nahla said and they continued watching the movie. When it was over Nahla said “If I ever listen to Camilla again, I think I must be sick in the head”

“Well who’s gonna switch on the lights” Carlos said “Weren’t you the one being all macho earlier on, now you can't even put on the light” Melanie said, Camilla sighed and went to switch on the light “Really guys, what was so hard in that” Carlos then said “As far as I'm concerned I'm sleeping in your room tonight Melanie” they laughed and headed up the stairs to Melanie’s room.

The next morning by noon Melanie was awake and she headed downstairs to clean up where they had watched the movie the previous night, by the time she was done they had all come down “What would you guys like for breakfast?”

 “Pancakes!!” Nahla and Camilla said at the same time, Melanie went into the kitchen to make breakfast as she started Maddie came in “Hey guys sup?”

 “We're all good, you?”

“I’m good” she said following them into the kitchen she sat on the counter “Where’s Carlos” but before anyone could answer he was there “Right here babe” and he stood in front of her and kissed her “Maddie your man is a wuss” Nahla said “Why, what did he do?” Camilla then said “Well we were watching The Exorcist and first of all he freaked us out by appearing out of nowhere and then he tries to be all macho by calling us scardy cats and in the end he’s the one shrieking like a girl” Maddie laughed “Really Carlos?”

 “Trust me babe if you we're the one in my shoes last night you’ll do worse than me” Melanie then passed them their breakfast “Want some Maddie?”

“No, I already ate” they had their breakfast in the parlour and when they we're done Nahla and Camilla did the dishes “So how are we gonna arrange these things” Maddie asked “Put all the Doritos in bowls and the Walkers to” Maddie did that and then she started arranging the flapjacks, cookies and Victoria sandwiches on trays, the drinks we're already in the fridge. Camilla and Melanie rearranged the chairs and pushed them against the wall, Melanie then opened the door leading to the back patio and garden, Carlos then put the I-pod on the speakers when they we're done it was already 4pm people would start arriving in an hour “I’m gonna go shower” Nahla said “I'll be after you” Camilla said as Nahla went up the stairs.