Chapter 13

Monday Conor and Melanie said goodbye and headed back to Cambridge. At her house she went to Ashley’s room first to fill her in she excluded the part with Sean. “Sounds like you guys had fun, still pissed that I couldn’t make it though”

“It’s alright there will be other things to do” she smiled. Melanie finally entered her room, the first thing she did was put away the picture of her and Sean so she didn’t have to look at it again, she changed the sheets and sat on her bed, she’d never felt so miserable in her life, Sean had compared her to a whore, she lay on her bed and let the tears flow, she hated crying it made her feel weak only one person could make her feel better at the moment and that was her mum so she dialled her mum’s number, her mum answered on the second “Hello”

 “Hi mummy”

 “Hey sweetie, are you all right”

“No” she broke down on the phone, her mum calmed her and she told her what had happened “Well that wasn’t very nice of Sean, even though you're young I know you love him more than you can help it”

“I hate feeling this way mummy, he’s hurt me so much” and she started crying again, her mum soothed her and before dropping the phone she said “Don't worry dear, he’ll be the one to come begging and you're gonna be the one playing hard to get” Melanie tried to sleep and she did eventually.

School went on, but she would have emotional breakdowns from time to time and Conor would always be there as a shoulder to cry on a day before midterm they we're sitting in class and he said “You know you're gonna see him when you get back right?” she nodded “True, but I don't know what I'm gonna do, I can't face him, my feeling for him are so meddled up, I'm such an emotional wreck”

“No you're not love, you're just in love with someone who’s hurt you a lot of times and I assure you he’ll be the one to come begging” she smiled and said “Exactly what my mummy said”

“Then your mum and I think alike” she laughed “Where are you going for midterm?”

“Back to Sunderland of course” she nodded and said “You better come back with stories for me and call me every day to see if I haven’t turned into a complete emotional wreck” he laughed “Ok, I'll be sure to remember that” they hugged and she left to pack.

Friday Melanie was in London by 2pm; she went home first to drop her things and she decided to go to Hyde Park for some fresh air, she walked for a while and then sat on a bench when she got tired, she was chatting with Conor when someone said “Penny for your thoughts” the voice was painfully familiar and when she raised her head she saw Sean “No, I don't think so” she stood and was about to leave when he caught her hand and said “I know I'm the last person you want to see right now”

“You got that right” she tried to shrug him off but his grip tightened “Let go, you're hurting me” he reduced his grip and said “After we broke up, I became a prick you can call me something worse but I changed I wasn’t the Sean you knew and loved” she turned her face away from his gaze “I’m sorry I compared you to a whore on your birthday, that wasn’t very nice of me” she still didn’t look at him because she knew if she did it would be easier to forgive him for all the hurt and pain “Melanie please, I didn’t mean to cause you so much hurt” he pulled her close into a tight embrace and kept on saying “I'm so sorry, please just say you’ll forgive me” she didn’t want to but he was putting her in a tough situation he then said “I wanna start over, just Sean and Melanie with a more mature Sean” he was asking for too much “Please say something” she remembered what her mum had said he would be the one to come begging, she would say yes but no physical contact until she was sure she had done the right thing, she raised her head and looked into his eyes filled with so much emotion “I forgive you and I'm gonna give us another chance” he smiled then, that smile that always made her want to melt, he bent to kiss her, what the hell one kiss couldn’t hurt she thought and she raised to meet him she put her arms round his neck and the kiss was hard at first but then his lips softened and the kiss changed, he finally broke the kiss and looked into her eyes before saying “I promise to try harder than my best not to hurt you again” she sighed and hugged him tight.